Performance Monitoring and Accountability 2020 (PMA2020) is a multi-country research project led by the Bill & Melinda Gates Institute for Population and Reproductive Health at Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health that uses innovative mobile technology to track Family Planning 2020 (FP2020) indicators, strengthen national monitoring & evaluation (M&E) systems, and provide community and programmatic feedback to family planning, maternal newborn health, WASH, primary health care, and other health stakeholders.
Program countries include: Ghana, DR Congo, Ethiopia, Kenya, Uganda, Nigeria, Niger, Burkina Faso, Indonesia, India, and Pakistan.
The Francophone Program Specialist will provide administrative, coordination, and technical assistance to PMA2020 program activities in Baltimore and program countries, primarily in Francophone West Africa.
The Program Specialist will provide day-to-day support and coordinate the technical and logistical contributions from Baltimore headquarters to survey data collection being implemented by university/research institutes based in project countries. Major responsibilities include assisting with work plan and budget development, coordinating and facilitating fieldwork trainings, and coordinating logistics for country start-up with local partners.
Upon the development of country work plans, the Program Specialist will be responsible for tracking program progress against a set of goals. Development and management of partner sub agreements will be done in collaboration with PMA2020 program and financial management in Baltimore, as well as relevant departmental staff at JHU.
Other duties may include representing the project at external meetings, preparing presentations/reports, and planning country and regional workshops. The Program Specialist will report to the PMA2020 Francophone Program Officer.
Primary duties and responsibilities include:
General Project Support:
1. Assist with grant-reporting responsibilities to project funders
2. Create PowerPoints, draft correspondence, and provide editing as needed
3. Support programmatic work as needed, overseeing general communications to partners and other interested parties
4. Other administrative duties as assigned by the Specialist’s supervisor or Project Director
Country/Regional Coordination Support:
1. Help develop work plans and budgets for new subs in your focus countries
2. Check in with partners on milestones, discuss lagging progress and suggest possible course corrections to program managers in Baltimore and in-country
3. Ensure that your focus countries are on track to begin training and data collection on schedule, including procurement of mobile devices, selection of enumeration areas, procurement of EA maps, recruitment of field staff, and preparation of survey and training tools in English and the local language(s).
4. Liaise between field supervisors and data management team throughout data collection
5. Help coordinate in-country data dissemination plans and workshops
Fieldwork Training Support:
Assist with preparations for and facilitation of in-country fieldworker trainings. Modify training agendas, organize training materials, and ensure all presenters are informed of their responsibilities Work with local training team to ensure that arrangements are set for field practice sessions Facilitate training sessions as needed
Bachelor's degree required. Two years related experience required. Working proficiency in French required. Experience working in an academic, research, or advocacy environment preferred. Understanding of reproductive health programs and survey design/research is strongly preferred. Masters degree preferred.